Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Tuesday Update

You know, I can't even think of an adequate name to describe this Tuesday. It's not very exciting. I know that makes you want to read on, right? Well do it anyway! I ache for some kind of attention. I am going to follow the standard English presentation format and tell you what I'm going to tell you, then tell you, then tell you what I told you. So, here goes. I am going to talk about badminton, my art project, a quick overview of my most recent taxi ride, my co-teacher, and my apartment.

The badminton club began yesterday. I was under the impression that it would be just a bunch of teachers playing casually for an hour or so after school, probably getting some games going, etc. Laughing, talking, you know, real laid back. I knew something was up when we began with a pretty intense group stretch. This, I figured, was a good thing. There were some teachers there who were over 40 and probably needed it lest they pull something or get sore in the morning. We paired up and started warming up, hitting the birdie back and forth, and eventually our coach (yes, we have a coach, I found out) comes around and inspects our form individually. I can hit a birdie ok, but she was ragging on my form. The way she was showing me how to play felt so unnatural, but she's really good at badminton so I guess she knows what she's talking about. We had to do drills, which I wasn't expecting at all. I had to take a break for Pocari Sweat. Pocari Sweat, children, is the Korean version of Gatorade. Yes, it's called Pocari Sweat. Anyway, I ended up leaving badminton early to do some shopping. Segue.

I had my co-teacher drop me off down near music street where there are some art shops. It's by the art college so it's a real artsy place. I dropped a Ulysses S. Grant on some paints, canvas, and brushes sos I could get started on my long awaited project(s). I sketched her up last night, and will begin the painting process this evening some time, if I ever get done with writing various things/people. You'll find out all about it when I'm done. Special exposé coming soon. Blardy blar blar. Brilliant segue. I suggest that journalists and poets begin using "blardy blar blar" as a segue for anything.

So, I went to HomePlus(uh) today to stock up on some groceries. I ended up getting more than I could rightfully or tactfully carry on the subway, so I hopped into a cab. This cab ride is normally about $2.50, so I figured both I and the cabbie could handle the short ride in each other's company. I told the guy "Seomun Market" and with a "Ne." we were off. We get down the road and then he starts pulling onto some strange streets, but Manquest is picking up his intentions as taking a back way. I knew we were headed kind of in the right direction. At a stop light, he turns around and starts blabbering in Korean like he has no idea where I want to go. I end up telling him where to turn and then he gets on the phone asking about Seomun Market. "Oh, Seomun sijang," he says, hanging up. Dude, really? I mean it says Seomun Market right on the sign. I mean, I guess I could have just read the hangeul and said Seomun Sijang, but I thought I could trust the guy. Well, he got me there anyway, but I was not happy about the cab price. Neomu bissayo.

My co-teacher and I did not see eye to eye today. I think it was partly because I got toothpaste in my eye this morning (silly rabbit, it's not eye paste! I am such an idiot). Anyway, the long and short of it is that we had open class today wherein the homeroom teachers and some others come to watch us perform. This was the sixth time we had done that lesson together. Why did she act totally different? That class was the most bizarre school experience I've had yet. The kids were totally quiet, raising their hands. My teacher spoke almost solely in English and we actually finished our lesson plan on time, all of which never ever happen. I've been getting increasingly frustrated with her because she keeps changing things up on me and usually giving me less to do. I know she's got 14 years of experience and all, but I am there so that the kids can learn how a native speaker talks. I am used pretty adequately by the other co-teachers, but not her. I think she has her ideas and that's it. But, before my karma meter runs on empty, I'll cut it off.

My apartment is a dirty, rotten place full of vermin and grime. I'm not just talking about myself, either. My floor is littered with dead bugs and accumulating crap. I think I bring it on myself for not taking my trash out frequently enough. With the addition of all the food trash, it attracts the little critters. I am going to re-evaluate and use the prevention method.

So, now that you've trudged through this boring, pointless post, how do you feel? I told you about the badminton adventure, art project numero uno, the cab, my wonderful co-teacher who really is a nice lady, but I'm starting to think there are alterior motives and a little self absorbed attitude there, and finally about the hole I affectionately call home. Footnote: I think my laziness is kicking in again and I am in a gripping, edge-of-your-seat, epic Marvel type duel with it. I'll keep you posted. Sorry I don't have any interesting pictures for you. I'll try to remedy that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...