Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Best Stuff Is The Stuff You Kind of Expected, But Didn't Really Know What To Expect And Then It Turns Out To Be Pretty Awesome, After All

Korea, you and I have been together for a full month now, a mensiversary if you will, and I gotta say that I like how things are going between us. Your different ways took some getting used to, and I have to be honest, I'm still getting used to the little things that scare most people away. But I can overlook them for the most part. We're both pretty easygoing, so we can look past the little differences that make us both unique.

When we are together, my ego really gets a huge boost. All the children who call you home really love me! It's so strange, but I think that you nurtured them that way specifically. For that, I thank you. You've been nothing but accommodating, despite the language barrier that seems to keep us a little too distant most of the time. On the other hand, because of this barrier, I feel like I can be an anonymous observer and just watch you work from afar. You work magic, my dear. You do. I can't wait to explore more of your intricacies and all your special little quirks over the course of our contractual year as a couple.

Ok, enough mushy crap. I just had to advertise the fact that I've been in Korea for exactly one month and one hour. Pretty special.

Last night I had a "famous" waffle from the waffle house downtown. I'd never heard of it before, but was pretty awesome. Instead of plain ol' syrup (sorry, Canada), they load on a couple of flavors of ice cream, whipped cream, fruit, and...a tomato? Yes, a tomato. I didn't eat that part.

Afterwards, we went to the shops to find some unique clothes. I saw the absolute champion of just plain crazy Korean T-shirts. It was a picture of a baby. Ok, not too strange, right? Ok, now imagine that some guy drew and wrote all over it using MS Paint. Still not weird enough. Ok, imagine that this guy put a Hitler 'stache on the baby with a swastika arm band. It doesn't end there. The topping on the waffle, if you will, was that a word bubble protruded from this baby's mouth that said, "Where's my Jew bagle?" Now that's class, Korea. That's pure class there. I experienced true class, finally. I can die happy. The thing is, I know that if I bought that shirt and sent it to Mike Pocius, he would wear it.

So today was a big ol' happy day for me. Classes were pretty routine this morning, except that second period was a batch of fourth graders who I'd never taught before. After class, they bum rushed to the front and asked for my autograph! What!? And I mean every student came up with paper and a pen! I mean, seriously. I'm just a Joe Schmoe from Amurrica. Am I really that special? It's like every few days they have a meeting and discuss how they can flatter me on a new level the next time they see me. Soon they'll be screaming for a lock of my hair. There are only so many of those I can give away.

No, the real treat came in the afternoon. My co-teacher and I went downtown and got me a bran' new cell phone. This boy's got digits. It took me forever to figure out how to turn off the super gay Korean sound effects though. Those things are vicious and really loud. Why would anyone want them on a phone?

Also, I got both the packages that my Mom and Nana sent for me. What a treat. I finally have some good ol' Amurrican eats and a Tony Bennett poster for my wall. Ooh, Tonay Tonay, we are going to have some good times together, I can already see it. Me pouring soju on you and pretending you drank it. Me and you sharing my darkest secrets together for a year. You're gonna either really love it or grow so repulsed with me that you commit seppuku in traitorish Japanese fashion.

The funniest part of my day came afterward when my co-teacher called around to find an internet deal. She said she called my landlord and that it would be better for me to not get TCN (a local internet/cable company) because he was stealing cable from them illegally. Oh, not so bely Chlistian now, are we!? So that's how I've been getting cable. It all makes sense now. Anyway, I'll be getting internet on Friday. Finally, I can stop frequenting the PC bangs. I'm kind of gonna miss this little puppy though. It's just one of the aspects of my relationship with Mama Korea that I've grown to enjoy. I'm sure I'll enjoy being able to Google in my underwear more. And I can finally just post pictures and video for you folks without the added hassle of going through alternate avenues. Just upload and done!

And, I can get started on my massive downloading spree. I love the lack of laws concerning what I can and can't download. It's gonna be supershaweet. Expect Skype calls from me after this week! Ok, dinner time. Later, folksy folks.

3 comments:

  1. You know you won't be wearing no underpants when you're "interneting" from home. You hardly wear them as it is!

    I think YOU would actually wear the Jew bagle tshirt. Hell, I'll wear it. Those tshirts sound amazing. You now are aware of what to buy me for Christ-Mass (aaaaaaaaaammmmeeeeeennnn).

    Every time you talk about your landlord I love him more. It's so ninja of him to steal from the man by getting you illegal cable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my landlord gets more interesting by the day, doesn't he? We'll see if I get you ANYTHING for friggin' Christ-mass. I'm just kidding. These tees are too good to pass up for much longer.

    Soheil, you totally called it.

    ReplyDelete

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...