Sunday, March 7, 2010

Changing of the Plans

Yesterday was Saturday. Tomorrow Land works in strange ways. When I was walking downtown to get to the PC bang (to write yesterday's post) I passed by some guys welding stuff on the sidewalk. Is that technically safe? I mean, sparks flying around and nobody wearing protective masks as pedestrians and scooters pass obliviously by? I guess I lived through it, so no biggie, right? Then, a few blocks down, some guy was face down on the sidewalk, face beet red, screaming about something as three or four other guys held him down. I don't know what that was about, but it was fun to watch for a few minutes. The police came, too. It adds a special new "trashy" level to it when cops come.

So, I was supposed to play ping pong with the Korean teachers at my school, but, as it turns out, they stayed out and kept drinking after I went home from the party. They were too hungover to really function and were actually surprised I came. I said I was going to, right? Is it the Korean way to stand people up when they make plans? So, as a consolation they took me out to Chinese food. I know, quite a change from Korean food. I want you to know this: Korean Chinese food is different from American Chinese food. I'd venture to guess that it's more authentic here. Just a guess. Less fried stuff.

We had these noodles that you cover in seafood that's marinated in some awesome sauce. When you get close to the bottom of the bowl, you put down the sticks and fill the bowl back up with rice and finish it off with a spoon, thus getting all the contents. It was bangin' and I ate a lot of it.

After practicing my accordion a bit, I took the clean clean subway to HomePlus for some shopping. My Western clothes don't fit right anymore since I've lost so much weight (I haven't been this thin since high school. What is a boy to do?), so I bought some pants and a new button down shirt. The sizes here are different than at home, so I had to eyeball it, as they also don't let you try things on. Apparently my shirt size is 105? The strange thing is that all the pants are the same length, so I guess you have to get them altered if you are short.

Let me tell you what. Those clothes a-fit-a-like-a-glove...a! I don't even need to get the pants altered, but since I'm taller than almost all the Koreans I'd imagine it's a hassle for them. I may just have to change out my whole wardrobe. I've never looked so good in some fabric. I am a sexy man beast.

I took those new cuts downtown to meet some friends and show off my sexy keyster. I got stood up. I guess since it's the Korean way, I wasn't too upset. I'd be too irresistible anyway, looking like beat up Brad Pitt in some killer new slacks. It was cold and rainy though, and while I was waiting, I got pestered by the same Korean beggar at least eight times, not exaggerating. I told him "aniyo" every time, and the last time he was persistent. I had to say "aniyo" three times before he got the hint. No wonder he's homeless, he doesn't know how to frigging listen. Do all Westerners look the same to him, or did he think that after the seventh time I'd finally cough up some change?

I got to breathe a big sigh of relief yesterday, too. I found "music street" in Daegu. It's right next to "pet shop street." It's within walking distance (shaweet!). The whole street is lined with instrument shops, gear shops, amp shops, studios, etc. I ate it up. Most of the stores have crappy Korean acoustic guitars, but I definitely saw some Fenders, Epiphones, Gibsons, a Guild, and some Martins. First paycheck I'm investing in a new ax. Seems I can get a pretty decent one for a few hundred bucks, so I'm willing to throw down. I miss shredding. Haha, like I can shred.

Also, dispersed intermittently around that area are art shops. When I was in Homeplus, all they had were crappy kids watercolor type stuff, so I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to keep up the art habit. I was dead wrong. The art will flourish through this boy come March 25th. I will be a multi-millionaire extraordinaire of the arts. I plan on being a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Well, maybe I'll try to be the Creole King. Master that one pretty good and call it a day.

Oh, wait, I'm a teacher too, aren't I? Haha, kinda forgot about that part of the deal. Monday's coming quick and my first three classes should be pretty interesting. I am anticipating disaster so that I can't be disappointed. That's the Steve Holcomb way. Keep it real, folks. Thanks for reading this far. I know it's a task. My sentences are awkward and my vocabulary choice is abhorrent. Live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...