Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My First Day of School

I woke up this morning before my alarm went off, but just tossed around for a bit until 7. I got up and did my morning routine with the dull hint of butterflies fluttering around (or maybe it was one of those bugs I killed yesterday in my apartment. Bug infestation season, go!). When I got to school, I was a little earlier than my co-teacher so I just sat there while the Koreans ran around all crazily.

Eventually, my co-teacher came in and greeted me. Then some other woman came up and introduced herself and I soon learned that she would be helping me with all my "adjusting to Korean life" needs. Sweet, I thought. She's good at English.

The first order of business was to introduce all the new teachers over the TV broadcast. This was new to me, with sixth graders pretty much running a production studio in the main building. I was impressed and a little afraid because I will have to be teaching them eventually. So smart. They're probably smarter than me. I'm almost sure of it.

Anyway, we got lined up in order and stood there while the principal and the administrative guy blabbered for a while and we listened to the Korean National Anthem. Hey, I guess it's better than K-pop. When they began introducing us, each new teacher would step forward and bow for the camera. They got to me out of order (Suhteebah Howlcam...Koreankoreankoreankoreankorean) so I stepped forward awkwardly and bowed. Everyone laughed. I guess I missed the mark or there was a split in my pants. Whatever, I better get used to being laughed at, right?

We then went to the classroom...and we sat. And sat. And then it was lunch time. As per tradition, the principal takes all the new teachers out to lunch on the first day of school. This was a nice treat (gonsa hamnida, Principal!). I got to sit on the floor of some restaurant eating bibimbap and stare at the wall while all the Korean teachers talked about me and pointed and stared. My co-teacher only told me that they were "very interested" in me. I do have a zit on my chin, so I bet that's what they were talking about. But seriously, they're all very nice.

In the afternoon, we were going to go to the immigration office so I could apply for my Alien Registration Card, but when my co-teacher called, there were 160 other people waiting to do the same thing. "We'll go in the morning," she told me. Fine by me, half of them will be back then too. So the afternoon consisted of sitting. And more sitting. I later learned that I would have no classes this week. Well, that makes it easy. I guess I'll just have three more days of sitting.

I did get to talk to one of my co-teachers for a bit. She taught me some more Korean, and also that, like we associate personality traits to astrological signs, Koreans associate personality traits to blood type. I told her mine was AB+ and she laughed. "You're very weird," she told me. I could accept this. Apparently AB+ is not that common, so people having this blood type are considered "weird and out of the ordinary." I told her she was weird for being a Scorpio/Libra cusp. Also, I'm 27 in Korean. Damn, how did I get so old so quickly? I was 25 before I boarded that plane.

So, I worked 8:30 to 4:30 (Oh yeah. Sure beats American government hours). Off to do it again tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, not to pick on your Korean spelling, but it's K/Gam Sa Ham Ni Da for thank you. It's a little harder K than G sound for the Gam but just barely...

    Sorry about not getting you the Korean Survival Course thing I was working on... for some reason I was thinking you were still in the States.

    The birthday thing was always hard to explain to people but you get used to it. It's a combination of using the lunar calendar and counting you a year old at 3 months (they count time in the womb as part of your age for some reason) so it's always strange.

    Sounds like you're adjusting well. You'll definitely have to get used to being stared at... I stood in a market in Seoul one time and some friends took a picture. I'm literally a foot taller than nearly everyone around me and the only blond in a sea of of about 10000 people. Crazy. You'll probably get them wanting to touch your hair a lot too... though that may be less common since your hair isn't quite as light as mine...

    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, your posts get increasingly entertaining every time I read them.

    I'm really enjoying hearing about your experience living in a culture so different from ours here in the States. Intriguing! I'm still jealous. ;)

    I hope Ok-san treats you well and helps you prove your intelligence to all those shitty little sixth graders. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joey, thanks for the correction. My pronunciation is much better than my spelling. I'm well aware of the difference between the G in spelling and the K in speaking. Just like Daegu is spelled with a D, but pronounced with a T. I'll never speak like a native, but I'm trying. Sounds like you had a pretty good time in Korea being the only Westerner in a sea of Koreans. I can relate.

    Alissa, I will prove MYSELF to those little sixth graders. I don't need Ok-San to do it.

    ReplyDelete

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...