Monday, March 15, 2010

The 'gu In Pictures

I am easily the most brilliant creature to ever grace this increasingly brown tinted hole we all call home. Newton: an idiot. Einstein: half retarded. Move over fellas, there's a new brain in town. His name is Suh-tee-bah Blad Pitt, and he's got a mind to reckon with. I figured out a way to bring you pictures for the blog without harming anything personal with the adware infested PC bang PCs. Yes, I am that brilliant. So, I bring you: the 'gu in pictures.

This is my humble town. Don't worry, that's not smog...mostly. It was just cloudy yesterday. Look at that maze of streets down there! I live closer to the tall part in the hardly to the left distance. This picture was taken from the base of this tower:

No, that castley looking thing is not the base of the tower. That's the entrance to Woobang Land, celebrating its 15th anniversary with a gigantic gaudy cake. Before moving on to more personal scenery pics, here is a glimpse of the bustling downtown area:

Those mofos were out in force because it was the first only semi-cold day in a while. Ok, now. Here's a picture of the outside of my pad:

Really glitzy, right? What, you can't tell which one is mine? Ok, so look under the SM Tech sign. You see that red brick framed doorway there right in the middle of the photo? That one's mine. You see those Koreans in the background? They're actually always there. I think it's their job to stand there and spit. It's a pretty sweet gig. I'm thinking of asking how they got their positions so that I can look into it once my teaching contract is up. Also, aren't you jealous of how easy it would be for me to purchase an LCD TV? I don't even have to put shoes on to go shopping there. Ok, next:

This is my 'hood. Pretty nice, right? Yeah, I've got two cathedrals within walking distance, AND:

The obligatory foreboding Nazi temple right down the street. I know, I'm not an idiot. You don't have to call me out on my joke. I'm just going for the comedy value here. Ok, let's move on to the next two important things in my life right now:

This is my school. Namsan Elementary. Represent. This isn't the building that I teach in though. There are three buildings to the school. This picture was actually taken from the building I teach in, but it looks almost exactly like this one. Sorry I can't do anything right, princess. And finally, to throw a little perplexing humor in, this is what my local PC bang says right outside the door:

If anyone can figure out what they're trying to say then you get ten points. Even if you can't, I look past this small blemish because the employees are really nice to the wae-gook and the fat, pimply Koreans are amicable enough.

You can thank me for the visual stimuli later. Right now, I've got to move on to more important matters.

So, today was a standard Monday here in Korea. I got a ton of hellos, a ton of pictures taken of me, and all the kids were jolly as ever. Actually, this group of girls scared the crap out of me today. I was leaving work, and they pop out from under a stairwell and start snapping pictures of me. I swear. Paparazzi. I guess I can commiserate with Brad Pitt more than I thought.

Oh, and this past weekend was White Day. I know you don't know what that is unless you live in Korea, so I'm going to tell you. Apparently, on the 14th of every month (every month! Jesus!) there is some kind of love type holiday. Valentine's Day is just the one in February, so it's not that big of a deal. The 14th of March is White Day. White Day is when the boy gets something for the girl, whereas Valentine's Day is when the girl gets something for the boy, and Black Day (hey, no racist jokes, ok?) is when the singles eat some black noodle soup thing or something. This wouldn't phase me except that I strangely got candy from some of the boys I teach. I guess that's not gay? And some girls half expectantly eyed me and asked me where their candy was. Please, I ain' yo bowfriend! You're 12 years old! Look for someone your own age to give you candy. Maybe if your milkshake brought all the boys to the yard like mine, you'd have boys giving you candy instead of them giving it to me. I can only sigh when I think that all my admirers are not yet old enough to drive a car and half of them are male.

Also, remember how I told you that you should leave the spider carcass on your ceiling yesterday? Well, that only applies to spiders. I am currently experiencing an ant infestation, and those suckers you want to get rid of. Right now, my apartment has about a thousand dead ant carcasses strewn about the floor. It's a killing floor (someone please get the Led Zeppelin reference). I think they eat their own, so I shouldn't leave them there for too long. It'll only attract more of those little suckers. It really blows because my bed sits directly on the floor and those bastards are going to crawl up my nose while I'm sleeping.

So, I guess I should probably go home and eat some dinner. I'm anxious to play my accordion, too. I learned "Good Lovin" by the Rascals yesterday. Don't worry, it's not an accomplishment by any stretch of the word. That song is probably more simple than "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." Hmm, maybe I'll add that one to my repertoire tonight. That's progress that keeps me coming back. Brilliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...