Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Creole King

Today began with a two day old routine that I can easily see becoming a several month long routine. Although, minor things will change. Today, I adapted to brushing my teeth while showering. The shower area and the sink are right next to each other, so it's not like I'm stepping over any boundaries there. Multitasking. That's the Steve Holcomb way. Also, I was told that I was too skinny. When a Korean tells you you're too skinny, that is saying something. I did notice that I had lost some weight since last time I wore my suit, but damn. I'm under 170. What am I in high school again? Anyway, this means that I have begun to implement an exercise routine. It consists of lifting water bottles for weights and farting for abdominal exercise. I figure that I've got a good skeletal base and I can become pretty toned with some work. I'll let you know how it goes, as with everything.

This morning, my co-teacher and I went down to the ol' Daegu Immigration Office and applied for my Alien Registration Card (ARC). What a trip. Well, not really. The office was pretty empty, and I quickly learned to place blind trust in the knowing Koreans when it comes to everything administrative. Lest she be secretly funnelling my paycheck into her own account, I just have to not think about it. She's so nice though, I couldn't see it.

We finished pretty early since the 160 people I thought were going to be there weren't, so we had time to hit up HomePlus. This is my new favorite store. It's like a Target mixed with a good grocery store. They actually have a wine selection. Also, it spans three floors, so they have this awesome conveyor belt/escalator for your cart. The carts come equipped with magnets that stick to the metal of this belt so you don't go sliding down to the bottom and kill any ajummas bowling style.

I tried my first school lunch today. It was more bibimbap and kimchi. I can get used to that, I guess. It leaves me pretty hungry by the end of the day. And that water. Whoo doggies, it tastes like lemonade or something. Water should not taste like that. It may explain my upset stomach. Adjustment, I say. Adjustment. If Koreans can drink it, I can too eventually. All of lunch consisted of Korean children trying to talk to me and Korean teachers trying to talk to me with varying levels of success. I'm the most popular person in the school, hands down. I am also well aware that this will wear off once they realize I can't teach worth a damn.

In the afternoon, we went out again to Daegu Bank to open a new bank account for me (I'll actually have some money in it in a few days. Sweet! Shopping Spree!). We ran into a bake sale, so we bought some rolls and some walnut muffin thing that was really good. Every Wednesday, I may just stop by there and get my walnut muffin fix. Also, I was shown how to use my microwave and washing machine. Bonus, I'm practically Korean now. I'm definitely starting to smell like one with the water and all. The thing that sets me on another level is that I have deodorant and they don't.

We got to talking with the physical education teacher and music teacher (who I will call Street Fighter girl when she's not around) and when I heard strange noises coming from the hall, I asked her if that was her music class. She giggled and told me that the students were throwing away all of the old instruments. This came in handy, because later I went dumpster diving. That's right, Resourceful Holcomb went dumpster diving at school. What did I find, you ask? I'm glad you asked. I found...probably the greatest thing I could find. I found an accordion. A fully functional, working accordion. Well, it was fully functioning after I changed out a few keys and tweaked it a bit. This is the one case where the word "bitchin" most aptly fits. I took that thing home, cleaned all the rat turds off of it and played it until my left arm got sore. I will continue to do so until the neighbors complain. I will be a Creole King.

Tomorrow I am going to actually have to do something. I will have to lesson plan for next week. This won't be so bad. Just come up with a PowerPoint about myself and a few activities to get the students to talk to each other in English. Damn, I just gave away tomorrow's post. Well, look for it anyway, you cheeky buggers. Maybe something totally Korean will happen and I'll throw you off.

Don't worry if you're getting bored with the routine. Soon I will too, and then I'll start getting into themed posts: "Things I've learned in Korea," "Differences in Korea," "The Consistency of My Bowel Movements," "Kids Say The Darndest Things," "The Wonders of the DMZ," and "Teaching Tips From A Master, A Sorcerer of Teaching." You'll get the hint when it happens. Let the evolution begin! Slowly, of course. Slowly. Once I get my ARC, I can get internet and then I can post all sorts of crazy photos for you folks to get a better visual of what my situation is like. Right now, you're thinking of me living in a temple, chugging soju and flying through the air as a black belt in Taekwondo, physically smiting children with English books to knock the knowledge into them. Well, you're close. Very close.

Ok, last thing. I know, I'm squirrelly today and you're itching to get outside and play in the snow. I swear I haven't been drinking. At the PC bang, the keyboard is in pretty pristine condition except that the W, A, S, and D keys are totally rubbed off and blank. Those World of Warcraft players will know why this is. Ask one. He (yes, he. Girls don't play these games) will probably laugh and realize the stereotype of Korean kids playing computer games is actually true.

5 comments:

  1. When Koreans drink "water" in the winter, it's usually warm barley water, which is basically just really weak barley tea (Po Ree Cha). It definitely takes getting used to, but is generally good at settling a stomach, rather than upsetting one.

    One more thing... Koreans will always say you're too skinny unless you're way overweight. They like feeding people as a cultural movement. It's wonderful for those of us who do like to eat and aren't as difficult as you full veggie types.

    Some food recommendations for you...

    Ja Jeong Myon -- basically a bowl of noodles in a black bean sauce (it does have beef in it sometimes but very small amounts). It's technically a Chinese dish, but I think the Koreans do it much better (and it has a far more consistent flavor and consistency in Korea).

    Shin Ramyon -- this is spicy ramen noodles (which I will never call ramen again because I'm more Korean than Japanese) that has dried scallions dehydrated mushrooms and some other goodies in it. It's practically a Korean staple and it will fit with your vegetarian diet fairly well. I recommend adding in an egg or two when you're cooking it and possibly some fish balls and/or shrimp, if you do seafood. Great stuff but spicy.

    Kimchi fried rice is always good and easy too.

    Chap Chae -- another spicy dish that sometimes has meat and sometimes doesn't.

    Nang Myon -- you won't really see this until summer... basically cold celaphane noodles that are spicy and great in the summer.

    Dok Pok Gi -- Big fat rice flour noodles about the size of really fat penne only solid. Made with a spicy red sauce that is also sweet. (Dok is the rice flour noodles and is used in a lot of stuff.) This is usually also a vegetarian dish that often has strips of fried tofu in it along with scallions and occasionally some other veggies.

    Good luck with the lesson plan.

    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the food recommendations, man. I'm exploring Korean cuisine in my own time, each day at lunch at school. The Koreans say it's not that good, but I'm actually kind of enjoying the experience. Today we had some dried seaweed that tasted like kettlecorn. Pretty bangin' with rice and spicy cabbage.

    I'm glad to know that the water I was drinking was potable and not some strange sewer stew. It must have been something else that screwed with me, then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so whip-ass you found an accordion. I have one too and I vow to start learning asap so when you get back we can go on tour. Create a fan base in Korea and I'll do that here. Bang! We'll instantly be an international success. Now we just need a name. And a logo. And if you look up wangcasters, that's what I'm thinking, just modified to the accordion. Name brainstorming. Get on it bro. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I'm going to come up with a name so brilliant that we won't even have to play the accordion to have a fan base. Then, when we DO play, their heads will explode and then we won't have any fans anymore. Sometimes, you can be TOO good.

    I totally didn't know you had an accordion. That's pretty bitchin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah. I can see how we may fall into that category.

    Did you look up the Wangcaster? They are f'n ridic.

    The Wancordion is next. Or maybe the Racordion like a nice rack.

    Okay, let me know about the names. I'll be brainstorming this weekend like crazy!

    ReplyDelete

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...