Saturday, March 13, 2010

Those Daegu Nights'll Get Ya

So, last night I attended a mini impromptu EPIK reunion. Three or four groups (cliques, if you will) converged on Billibow downtown at the same-ish time on the same night and I got to see quite a few people I hadn't talked to since orientation or since the first weekend here. It was good to get out, because hanging with Koreans all week made me miss the Round Eyes. I even caught myself saying "Engrish" one time this past week. It's terrible.

Anyway, that bar is the nicest/most expensive bar I've been to in Korea yet. They actually had bathroom stalls! What a change that was. I also got to reunite with my newest love: noraebang. That place was swanky, too. They made us take off our shoes and wear slippery slippers inside. We can ash cigarettes and spill alcohol and throw up from intoxication all over the floor all we want, but no shoes! Shoes are dirty! We had to smuggle in the alcohol and somehow I could carry two gigantic handles of Hite in my green jacket and nobody could tell the difference. Mom, be sure to thank Gary for that coat. It has come in handy here.

As with these types of nights, I am paying for it today. I didn't get much sleep last night, so I've been tired all day with no relief until I find my bed again tonight. That didn't stop me from getting to some sightseeing. After way too much indecision, I finally hit up the Confucian Academy close to downtown. It's only 700 years old. The thing that struck me about the Academy grounds was how peaceful it was. We were in the middle of this bustling metropolis, within walking distance of downtown, and it was quiet enough to hear the birds chirping and enjoy the sun shining and watch the babbling water from the little pool thing. Considering how tired I have been today, it was nice to just sit there in a lull for a while.

I listened to my doggish Western conscience and got Papa John's for dinner. Comfort food, right there. They even had the garlic sauce stuff that they give you with each pizza back in the States. It was delightful. Right outside, they were giving away free samples of soju. What? Only in Korea. I think I saw them giving some kids some, too. Start 'em young. Those kids will be featured on Blackout Korea in no time.

I may turn in early tonight to catch up on that much missed sleep. Sorry I don't have much else to tell you. I told you things are starting to get into routine mode. I've just accepted that everything is absolutely non-sensical here so I probably don't pay attention to the crazy stuff as closely any more. More complete crap tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...