Friday, December 31, 2010

Don't Look Back In Anger

2010. We've had some good times. When I was in your presence, I changed my life dramatically. Over the past 365 days, I've grown as a person immensely. I've seen some crazy things. I've been to 3 new countries and 7 new states I'd never seen before. I've immersed myself into a radically different culture, made leaping strides in learning a second language, expanded my horizons, learned some things about myself, and completed a few projects to add to my legacy.

When I put it that way, it sounds so productive, doesn't it? Yes, I should be proud of myself. Am I? Meh. I started this blog on January 1st, 2010 as a New Year's resolution and I think it may be the only New Year's resolution that I've ever kept. As it's been a part of my life this entire year, I took a little while to look back on the oldest posts in the blog to see how things have changed in my ideologue in 365 days. This is the first time I can measure and chart a change in myself over the course of the year. Granted, it would take a while and be pretty boring to read all those old posts again, but at the same time, It'd be a nostalgic look at my journey.

The top 30 things I've done (and can remember and in no particular order) this year that are not already mentioned above:

  1. I took a cross-country road trip.
  2. I quit a cushy government job and took a major pay cut to pursue personal happiness.
  3. I flew over the Pacific Ocean for the first time.
  4. I experienced what it feels like to teach children for an entire school year.
  5. I para-sailed, snorkeled, kayaked, cave swam, and ATV-ed for the first time.
  6. I experienced World Cup Fever, which doesn't exist in the U.S.
  7. I had my feet eaten by fish.
  8. I got drunk with a group of 50+ year old men who do not speak English.
  9. I took a high speed train.
  10. I took a high speed hydrofoil.
  11. I got completely covered in therapeutic mud.
  12. I saw monkeys having sex.
  13. I saw two monumentally important World War II historic sites, from both the Axis and the Allied side.
  14. I battled with and eventually overcame the worst and largest bug infestation I've ever witnessed.
  15. I ate an octopus that was not fully dead yet.
  16. I pirated a boat.
  17. I attended more than one rooftop soiree.
  18. I bar-tended for a night.
  19. I played "war" for money, and won.
  20. I ordered and received McDonald's delivery.
  21. I prayed to Buddha.
  22. I learned what it's like to live completely alone.
  23. I bought a piece of clothing that cost more than $150.
  24. I saw the greatest fireworks show I've ever seen.
  25. I started eating meat again (yeah, that cat's out of the bag. But damn it's so delicious. And let's be honest, Koreans do it a little more healthily than Americans...and I guess included in that is that I've eaten parts of the pig that are probably illegal to eat in America).
  26. I developed a tolerance for spicy food. In Korea, this is not an option.
  27. I experienced squatter toilets.
  28. I took part in a play for Korean children.
  29. I was on TV...more than once.
  30. I wrote 149 blog posts.
What did you do this year? Honestly, I'm curious. I'm not trying to brag or anything. I'm genuinely curious about your year so spill the beans. Top 30. Top 10 even. It's fun to look back at what you've accomplished. Some of you got married. Some of you had children. Some of you bought a house. Some of you changed your job. Some of you experienced great loss that equates growing as a person. Those certainly trump anything I did this year. But, let's see what 2011 brings, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...