Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Merry Un-Christmas

Yeah, I kind of missed that whole "Merry Christmas Errybody Back Home" obligatory blog post, didn't I? Well, luckily for you, you get this half assed late one instead. Yeah, boyee. Discount bin.
Right, so Merry Christmas. This year was the clear winner for the strangest Christmas I've yet experienced award. Nothing particularly funny or crazy: "Oh, look at that wacky waygook again! All his mind bending misadventures through time and space are probably good for another two or three seasons of viewership before we start exploiting it and introducing his evil brother for another six or seven seasons and then finally cancelling it. Don't forget the reunion special ten years after that either. Milk it, baby!" No, nothing like that.
It was strange in that it just felt like another day. Indeed, it's like it didn't even happen yet because they still play Christmas music in stores and nothing was closed on Christmas. It's clear to me that Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving) is the most important holiday in Korea. In a way, I can understand this. It's not religious based. It's just a time to spend with family, appreciating them and being thankful for life, no strings attached.

I never thought I'd say that I missed the season. We all complain that Christmas commercials and decorations come out earlier each year and we're annoyed by Christmas music by the time Halloween rolls around, but it's strange being on the other end of that. You expect to feel these things each year and when you totally bypass it all, it feels hollow. I didn't get sick of Christmas music this year. I enjoyed singing along to "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" when I heard it only one time. I don't really watch TV because it's usually in a foreign tongue, so I missed all the annoying overplayed Christmas commercials. No Christmas edition snuggy commercials for this guy.

Still, I am thankful that I got to talk to Mom and Sara on Christmas Day and I got to spend the evening with friends. It was really special to be able to have that many lonely foreigners in one room. The only thing missing was the fake fire on the TV and it would have felt like some kind of home.
Other than that, I'm deskwarming this week, so I'll keep it real by watching movies and playing computer games (oh, and a little preparation for camps next week). When I find out what I'm dewing for New Years, I'll let you know. It'll probably be just as exciting as my posts have been for the past 4 months. Gotta keep up the high standard of quality.

World Class Flaneur: Quality, Excellence, A Bullshit Sense of Self-Worth. Since 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...