Monday, July 19, 2010

100th Blog Post Extravaganza!

Yes, folks. We've done it. We did it together, and don't you forget it. You helped me get there and that was almost as much work as me toiling over a keyboard trying to form coherent words. We made it to 100 posts. Now, as a celebration I want you to look back at the top 100 posts of this blog...in order of worst to best. That means you will probably just have to start reading backwards, as they seem to get worse as time goes on.

To commemorate my fifth month in Korea (Jesus, time flies, eh? [Canadian shout out!]) I went to Boryeong for, as I overheard one Army dude aptly put it, "Mudfest Oh-Ten!" When I chuckled he said, "What? It is." He won that one and I tucked tail and ran to the nearest GS25 for a refill.

Anyway, to go back to some semblance of chronology, my trip began early on Saturday morning as we all loaded a bus and had a few hours of painful, headache inducing noraebus. Yes, they put karaoke on the bus. I had the luck of sitting next to the heaviest abuser, who insisted on singing the most cliche noraebang/karaoke bar classics. I didn't hear one "singer" who actually sang on key the whole time, which only made Journey and Bon Jovi sound worse. I guess that's why they're in Korea and not Ronnie James Dio.
We arrived at about 1 PM after an absurd amount of toilet breaks for the drunken frat boys aboard and claimed our spot on the floor of our pension. No time was wasted before we headed down to the rainy beach area and got grub and drunk, followed by a lot of standing and watching and more drinking before finally deciding to get properly muddy. This picture has been posted without proper permission from either of the other people I am hugging. I consider their hug as permission. Yeah, it is about as bad as it looks. What was probably once a peaceful Korean traditional health mud festival has degenerated into mud wrestling, army guys throwing mud at each other in between parked cars, overflowing alcoholic beverages and generally trashing an entire town. I can't decide whether the highlight of the weekend was the guy who passed out on a picnic table, woke up at 9 AM with a dripping ear infection and began drinking and smoking immediately, or if it was the troupe of African American girls who insisted on getting their fried chicken very loudly because they loved it so much. Sometimes stereotypes are true!
Sunday, we were blessed with actually sunny weather for a semi-lazy half day at the beach. Took a couple of dips into the Yellow Sea. Helped it get more yellow with my urine. Yeah, I'm that guy, but I think I'm more of the rule as opposed to the exception.

Anyway, we headed back and ended the weekend to begin...THE FIRST WEEK OF SUMMER CAMPS!!!!

Speaking of, I'd like to thank Joel for posting this to his Facebook for me to post here. It's too funny not to. None of you back home will quite relate to this, but it's pretty funny and hits too close for me.



Tee hee. Hitler.

1 comment:

  1. Yahoo! Congrats on post 100!

    That mud day looks fantastically fun.

    ReplyDelete

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...