Friday, February 5, 2010

Epic Road Trip Extravaganza Winter 2010 Gala Celebration Party Oh-Ten Day 8



I gotta say, today was absolutely terrible. We woke up to 60 degree weather, clear skies, and the open road ahead of us full of gorgeous scenery. I was miserable the whole day. We began with a suggestion from Kristen's dad, the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson. The admission was a little steep, but it had a ton, and I mean a ton of different airplanes and airplane accessories. It had the PBM Mariner, which is practically the only one in existence, and the plane that Kristen's grandfather flew. It also had a B-17, which my grandfather flew. According to the docent, there are approximately 20 of those left. I think the coolest thing, however, was me getting my new facebook picture:

We hit the road again, bound for Phoenix. The drive was more traditionally Arizonan, full of desert and hot dryness and cacti. Once we hit Phoenix, there was no stopping Kristen from plowing into the In-N-Out Burger place. Desert was Krispy Kreme, completing our fatty fat fat lunch. As we headed north, the scenery became much more amazing and diverse. We climbed up to about 7000 feet above sea level, and back down into the valley. Before Sedona, we saw a sign for Montezuma's Castle, so we just had to. I was hoping it was something like a castle version of Montezuma's Revenge, because that would be something akin to the coming apocalypse. What it was is this:

Kind of a neat little cliff dwelling. I bet you're wondering how in the heck those Injins got up there to sleep at night. Well, guess what. The park explained everything. Apparently the Injins had mastered the power of flight. They carved the houses out of the cliff using their laser vision.

So, if you ever get the chance when you're in the area, go to Sedona. It's gorgeous. Here's a sample:

Afterward, we climbed through more mountains and encountered snow. A lot of it. Not as much as all of you will be getting in the Virginia area, but still, like a foot. We passed by Flagstaff, which has beautiful mountain scenery backing it up, and continued north to the Cameron Trading Post.

Since there's nothing else around, Cameron has turned into a Native American owned and operated complex, containing gas, a restaurant, a shop, and a motel. It's actually the nicest place we've stayed thus far. Plus it's an Indian trading post.

While we've been spending this time in Arizona, I think it has definitely moved up the list to the top for most scenic state we've been to. It's a lot more diverse than I thought, and it just beats out the Billy the Kid Scenic Byway for tubular awesomeness. Looks like Arizona's got New Mexico in a headlock. So, I totally understand why Soheil would want to move here. I still condone the decision to do it. He knows I'd come visit him, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...