Monday, February 1, 2010

Epic Road Trip Extravaganza Winter 2010 Gala Celebration Party Oh-Ten Day 4



Day four saw us successfully into Texas. We crossed the Mississippi River at Baton Rouge and kept gunning it for the border. After crossing, we saw a sign that said "El Paso - 878 miles." So, if you've ever wondered how many miles it is from the East end to the West end of Texas, now you know!


We passed over Houston and eventually entered an area rivaling Mississippi state for the most desolate, boring area of the U.S. I have ever seen. If you ever find yourself on Rt. 59 to Rt. 77 South, realize that you'll be on it forever, it'll be long, lonely, and boring as shit. And definitely stop for gas when you get the chance.

Eventually, after persisting through incredible odds, we reached Corpus Christi. We were initially greeted by an oil refinery, smelling like burning tires for miles. Oooh! This town was going to be fun! Luckily as we passed it and got into the actual city part, things improved slightly. But only slightly. Actually, once on Padre Island, things looked Outer Banks-esque, or maybe a cross between that and dirty Myrtle Beach-esque-ish.

We greeted our host for the evening, Ryan, and his roommate, Sean, warmly and thanked them for the place to stay. After a round of darts and malt liquor, we ventured into town for Mexican food. We were two hours from the border, after all. It was pretty good, and I was fairly drunk by then, so I thought it would be appropriate to save the leftovers. Wrong! That was a Kim Jong-il level decision. They went into the trash today.

Anyway, we hit up a bar called Pelicans first, and as soon as we entered we knew we weren't staying. They were in the midst of a sour faced intense Texas Hold-em tournament, and we were obviously interrupting their sour faces. So, we traveled almost next door to Scuttlebutt's and drank and played pool. So Texan, were we. There we met some of their friends, all of them characters. It was a good night, and I was sloshed by the close of it.

2 comments:

  1. You were sloshed? As in drunk? My god, what has HAPPENED TO YOU?! Just kidding, I figured you'd be drunk over the entire trip, except for the parts where you have to drive. ;)

    Mail me some mexican food; I'm sure it has enough salt in it to keep through the journey to VA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Haha, I'll do my best, but no promises. I've got some wine for you and Mom when Kristen gets back. Don't forget to take it to her!

    ReplyDelete

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...