Sunday, August 22, 2010

The End of Vacation

I made a promise to update today. A promise to myself. A promise to my family. A promise to God...

This will be my last post about vacation. I still have two weekends back logged to catch you all up on, which I suppose I will just do willy nilly on some random day in the future. Right now, I'm here to tell you about the Philippines.

Hey, guys, give the Philippines some credit. After all, a Filipino is worth dying for according to Ninoy Aquino. It's an interesting and beautiful place if you overlook the poverty. Certainly a much different place than what we are used to in the U.S. People do what they need to to survive, and I'd like to think I understand their actions better than many back home, as little as I've been exposed to it.

Like Korea, The Philippines has been through some bad mojo. From Spanish occupation to American occupation, from the Philippine-American War to the Japanese murdering at least a million Filipinos during World War 2. I think the difference comes from the Spanish occupation. It seems rather strange to me that every former Spanish colony has problems with corruption, overbreeding, and democracy. And I'd venture to say that the Philippines is the Latin America of Asia. Is that a terrible, racist thing to say? I don't even know. Spanish people are not a race, so I guess I'm not going to be attacked. Anyway, being there reminded me of what I'd think Mexico would be like.

The Philippines is the 47th largest economy in the world, according to the World Bank (which we can debate the validity of sometime over some scotch if you'd like). As such, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I make more in one or two months than many Filipinos do in one year. I don't know how true that is, but from appearances I'd say I'm not far off.

As such, imagine if you were one of these people. As a child, you'd be forced to help the family make an income. How would you do this? Not by going to school. School costs money and doesn't bring immediate income. You'd beg, get a job illegally, or (god forbid) become a prostitute. I saw all three of these things while in the Philippines, and I was on a resort island. I can only imagine how the heart of Manila is.

I was going to go on and on and on and on and on (and on and on and on), but honestly, I don't feel like it. I've sat at this point in the blog post for two days, not satisfied. Since coming back from vacation, I have spent too much time thinking about how unfair life is and it's because I went to the Philippines. Maybe I can put my thoughts into a more coherent post if and when I visit more 3rd world countries. Right now, it just feels wrong and hollow and I don't feel like I can express what I experienced in writing or speech. Maybe I'll create some crappy painting to express my angst. That would be pretty emo of me, right? I'm feeling emo enough. Ugh...ok, I'm done with vacation.

1 comment:

  1. It's been a long time since I had a chance to read any of your posts... I understand your feeling and I suspect it won't matter how many 3rd world countries you visit, you'll always feel this way. I know for me it happens every time I visit any place where the populace has it more difficult than we do here at home.

    Joey

    ReplyDelete

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...