Thursday, May 27, 2010

Things I Thought I Could Live Without But Really Can't

And now it's time for an edition of: Things I Thought I Could Live Without But Really Can't.

1. Drinking yogurt that tastes like Skittles
2. My feet
3. Celebrity status and people telling me I'm so handsome
4. Money
5. 5th grade boys who think they're so tough, but really they're wearing a handkerchief around their neck and man capris.
6. Engrish
7. A sports mascot (A Samsung Lion) who has two cubs that do back flips and walk on their hands for entertainment.
7A. Cheerleaders at baseball games
8. Dried seaweed that tastes like popcorn
9. Banking that is both easy and logical
10. Brand new buildings that still look like they were built in the late 70s.
11. An impending war with a border country and a plummeting currency
12. Traditional medicine and traditional markets
13. Men still being in charge
14. Soju
15. Scooters on the sidewalk
16. Fan death
17. Street food
18. Street drinking
19. People who have an obsession with sports I am barely familiar with
20. An ironic prevalence of English signage but very few English speakers
21. Girls wearing eye patches
22. Public urination
23. People who think I'm fluent when all I say is "hello" in Korean.
24. Tomatoes being considered both a fruit and an appropriate desert like apples or watermelon.
25. Chopsticks - so much variety in their usage
26. Kimchi and rice (this one is a lie)

I know that list could have been très funny, but the things I could think of were either more genuine or ironic than actually humorous. Sue me, you American dog. I'm sure I'll revisit this type of thing again. I really just wanted to mention Skittle yogurt and the kids that wear handkerchiefs and man capris. I thought of 24 others just to keep it going, but now that I look back, all those things deserve to be on there. Seriously, if you don't know about fan death, then check it out. Bizarre. It's actually almost as touchy a subject as North Korea. No joke.

3 comments:

  1. Men still being in charge. Pssssssh, that's just your favorite fantasy that you can't live without. Can you ever imagine a man being in charge of a woman like me (or your sister)? ;)

    Love dried seaweed that tastes like popcorn, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on right on Alissa.

    You know you really can't live without Man Capri's. I don't know why you has to bring the kids into it. Fave!

    And drinking yogurt? Really? I guess that's not as wrong as bacon vodka. I mean drinking bacon is just the nastiest thing I can probably think of. Shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't even know there was such a thing as bacon vodka. Blech.

    ReplyDelete

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...