Saturday, May 8, 2010

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

My leisurely weekend schedule allows me to update on a Saturday. Really odd, I know. I'm usually out tearing up Korea with my maniacal swagger. I felt the gears slowing down a bit recently, so I decided to take a weekend to stay in town, hang out with #1 (that's me, by the way, not some secret lover I haven't told you guys about), and catch up on the sleep. Thus, I am hanging out in my apartment in my underwear at noon on a Saturday with some orange juice and a fried egg sandwich. What a mental image, right?

Before I get into the meat and potatoes, I just wanted to let you know that my co-teacher was teaching the children with me the other day and she tried to teach them "piece of cake." That's cool with me, but when she says it, it sounds like "piss up cake." Is that some British slang or is she commanding them to piss up a cake?

I realized that I have not updated since Tuesday. Unacceptable. The next time that happens, please just punch me out. Through the computer or Skype or whatever. Let's see. Wednesday I went on some kind of thing that may or may not be construed as a date. I mean, I wasn't thinking it was because she mentioned a boyfriend and called me a strange man, but then she had that longing look in her eyes at the end and it was real awkward. Anyway, we saw Iron Man 2, or as the Koreans call it (in Steve phonetics), "Ah-ee-un-man(uh)." It was decent. The way they resolved some of the problems in the plot was a little silly, but it is a comic book movie.

So, I was just going to post some pics of strange Korean things. Mostly to do with Engrish. Here you go (with my unnecessary but necessary commentary):I'll start with something I already mentioned. This is the peep hole into the sky toilet. Have a look see, just don't get wet!Couldn't they have just picked an ear or a nose for their sign? Or maybe that just ties into the whole Korean thing about breasts giving life and it's really a spiritual message.Jesus, what a positive message. I tell you, the Korean advertising schemes are really unique. But, they're catchy. I'll always know GoGo now. Sometimes I wonder if these are intentionally stupid. Of course the Traditional Medicine Festival would have a Nintendo Wii stand. It's for the health, after all. They love that statement. Everything is for the health here. They have a beer that says it's "for the health of young generation" because it has fiber in it or some crap like that (pun intended). And on that note:When do people sit down and say to other people, "Yeah, this sentence makes the point I'm trying to make about selling clothes," and then the other people nod and agree? Oh that's right, they just use Google translate for their important business matters. That's all I've got right now. I'm Audi 5000.

1 comment:

  1. I love the last picture and the Gogo advert. I'll tell you what, I need that Gogo slogan as a bumper sticker.

    That last picture is hilarious because of the completely nonsensical nature of the way the words were placed together.

    ReplyDelete

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...