Monday, May 17, 2010

Korea's and My Third Mensiversary

I know you know that I know that you know that I know that you know that I'm making up the word "mensiversary." It really should be a word, because there just isn't a word for "three month anniversary." You can't use "anniversary" in good faith because that implies a year. Being annual and all. Anyway...

Korea, you have spoiled me rotten for three months. It has been a wild ride so far, and it's hard to believe that my contract is about 1/4 of the way over. Where has the time gone? Morris Day, you better get a lasso around your boys, or at least one of those invisible fences, because this is unacceptable.

As a tribute to you, I wanted to post my top ten favorite pictures I've taken of you. What this made me realize was that a) I am a terrible photographer, and b) that I have had some good times and seen a lot of stuff. So, even though I'm carting around with a dirty lensed point and shoot that I barely know how to use properly, I wanted to post my favs thus far. They are either for aesthetic reasons or sentimental reasons. You've probably seen all of these already in other posts because I just can't keep a secret and I automatically post all my best crap. No cards up this kid's sleeve. By the way, they are neither in chronological order nor in order of favorite-ness. They are in whatever order I want them to be, so I took each photograph's file number, divided it by 7, and then placed it in order according to its last decimal point.

#1:
Gyeongbukgong, Seoul (second time). This is the most standard "photo" photo. I just think it's a good lookin' throne room.

#Dos Equis:
Jeil Church, Yangnyeongsi Market, Daegu. This is one of the three churches that I walk by on my way to or from downtown (they are all pretty stunning). At night, after abusing alcohol, it is the most peaceful, serene walk home wherein I can gather my thoughts and just feel good about life. I also love the walk home because I get to smell the traditional medicine street. A symphony of smell. Every time.

#Threeve:
Tripitaka Koreana, Haeinsa. Look, I told you you'd seen these before, but how can I not include the money shot?

#Qatar:Bulguksa, Gyeongju. I'm not sure what it is about this pic. Maybe the typical "temple" look. Maybe the timeline represented: young love followed by a young family weilding a toddler. Maybe it's that the yellow is highlighted at just the right color to look golden. You be the judge.

#5:
Duryu Park, Daegu. This picture just has so much going on in it. Maybe not at first glance, but I could study this picture for a few minutes and not get bored. But, maybe not for more than three or four minutes. Does that say that I'm easily entertained? Most likely.

#Sisty sis:
Some bar, Seoul (first time). This picture encompasses what a Korean weekend is. There's too much alcohol on the table, a perplexed look on your face, and it all ends up a complete blurry mess in the end. That's why I love this pic.

#Sieben:Taejeongdae, Busan. I like how the only hint of color is in the sky, and only in the middle of the picture. And I think it's framed fairly ok. Trust me, it was an accident it turned out this well. I was going for something much worse.

#Octopus:Sports Day!, Namsan Elementary School, Daegu. I think this picture kind of encompasses Sports Day. You see the dirt, the kids, the competition in their eyes, and you get an idea of how many people were present that day. I must admit, most of the reasons I included this picture are sentimental reasons. But it's my blog, so there.

Number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine...:
Daegu from Woobang Tower. How can I not include a picture of the 'Gu? This is ma home, bra! Brings a little tear to my eye just looking at it. Obviously more sentimental than aesthetic. Daegu is not that pretty of a town.

#Tin:Haeinsa. This is a fitting last picture. Two people (my neighbor and her friend) walking away down a peaceful Korean temple entrance road.

Now, I know you're surprised that not one of those ten pictures includes my mug. I'm surprised, too. You'd think that at least one of those ten would see an appearance by Blad Wentworth Cruise Wirris, but it just wasn't in the cards. I enjoy buildings, history, scenery, and sentimentality more than looking in the mirror. That would make me probably the most un-Korean person I know. Honorable mentions go to Palgongsan, Daejeon baseball, and the Korean Folk Village. Well, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...