Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Uneventful Week Time #3000

Let's see here. Strange proceedings since my last post. Hmm, I'm struggling. I went to Seomun Market yesterday after work with my cool co-teacher. She introduced me to this entire inside complex that I was totally unaware of the last time I went. They have everything there. Well, not everything, but you know. A lot of stuff. There are several floors devoted to Korean hanboks (traditional dresses) and apparently Koreans need a lot of fabric for their every day needs. Rows and rows of just fabric stores.

She also introduced me to this great little carnival type snack. It's called Hota (sp?). It's pronounced more like hoe-tha, but it's kind of hard to Anglicize it. There is no th sound in Korean, so it's like in between th and a d. When I pronounced it a little Southern like "howtah," my co-teacher emphasized the th and d mix and eventually I got it. You have to put your tongue between your front teeth (if you've got 'em, that is) and then try to make a soft t sound. Good luck. Anyway, it's this pancake thing that has some cinnamony syrupy goodness in it mixed with nuts. The lady who makes them has been doing it for 20 years, so you know they're good. Plus they're only like 70 cents. I hear on the weekends, there is a massive line to get one of these bad boys.

Also, last night I talked to my neighbor for about a half hour. I found out she's a medical student, which explains why her English is so good. She's one o' them smart uns. I had met her several times before because she always gives me food randomly or leaps out from behind things suddenly to say hi to me, but I had never talked to her for any period of time. I ran into her again today going to the metro, and she helped me get a metro card. That kid's alright.

Today's strangeness took place during our newly introduced 20 minute break between second and third period. This had just started on Monday, so now lunch is moved back 10 minutes, which is agonizingly painful. I noticed when this 20 minute break began that all the students were lining up outside on the dirt field we call a "playground." This is what eventually happened:



You tell me what that is, because I have no idea. I went out there because the chick leading the Thriller dancers looked semi-attractive and I wanted to get a closer look. Both my male co-teacher and I were slightly disappointed upon closer inspection.

Oh, speaking of that specific co-teacher, he has a Korean accent. I know, I was as surprised as you are. Anyway, today we were discussing tomorrow's lesson and we have to do a role play with the little chilluns. The role play is "The City Mouse and the Country Mouse," however when he says it, he says "The Shitty Mouse and the Country Mouse." I love it. Every time. I hope he says it over and over again tomorrow during class.

2 comments:

  1. The Shitty Mouse. Loves it.

    Dude, what the hell was playing when that dance or whatever was occurring? I couldn't hear it well enough.

    Why weren't you dancing? Lame-o.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like K-pop. Usually the verses are in Korean and the chorus has English in it.

    Teachers don't dance. They watch kids dance.

    ReplyDelete

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...