Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hump Day!

Last time on World Class Flaneur, our hero took a trip to Busan to see the wonderful Korean version of Miami...or something. This time, on World Class Flaneur...

Those who play video games know that in some of those dastardly addicting things, you get a hidden prize for finding all 100 of the golden spider skulls or something that are hidden throughout the world. I feel that way every time I enter my kitchen. I look around behind the fridge, in cabinets, on the ceiling, under the microwave, around the trash. I'm not looking for golden spider skulls, I'm looking for bugs. I kill at least 20 a day. I keep expecting to receive the Dragon Sword or something and hold it above my head as music plays around me. I've got the music part down, but no sword for collecting all the dead bugs. Maybe I have to reach a thousand?

I also completed my painting. By completed, I mean I don't want to work on it anymore so I'm calling it done. I present to you...St. Venn. Anyone get it? Come on. Personally, I think it's better than the Mona Lisa. Most unimpressive painting, that one. At first I tried nailing it onto my wall. Apparently my walls are made of either metal or concrete because it bent the nail. Everywhere I tried, same deal. Divine intervention? Oh well. I had to go to HomePlus(uh) this evening to get some of those double sided sticky tape thingies. Now it is hanging above my computer. One less wall decoration. I'm thinking my next one will be Freddie Mercury riding a flying tiger through the currently erupting volcano in Iceland. What do you think? Too much red and orange? Probably. Maybe I should put the emphasis on the water and ice in the background.

So yesterday, after going to a weird Italian/Korean fusion type place wherein you eat sweet corn pizza with a fork on a barrel, I was greeted with a nasty little surprise. My landlord doubles as my mail man, and he had slipped a bill under my door. After looking at it confusedly, I realized it was for my gas (no, not my gas [that's priceless], my apartment's gas) and that it was for 106,000 won! This is just about $100. Or as Soheil likes to think, $1,060,000. $100 for a month of warmth. Well, I can assure you, Mister, that I will not be touching that thermostat again unless it's to get hot shower water. Good thing it's warming up finally or this boy would be wearing coats. Multiple coats.

I've been downloading music like a fiend since there are no legal repercussions for it. Two other music related news items: I've been playing guitar non-stop. So much that I haven't given my fingers enough time to develop calluses. They just hurt all the time. That's ok, I'm exploding with guitar steam desire after not playing for a few months. I'll develop calluses this weekend when I'm in Seoul. Other news: I heard about a music festival a-la Bonnaroo called Jihan Valley Festival. It's in Incheon (where that gigantic airport I flew into is located), and it's got a few good bands. Muse, Massive Attack, Belle and Sebastian, Vampire Weekend, and a few Korean artists and other bands I haven't heard of. Not a huge line up, but this is Korea, after all. It's on that end of July/beginning of August weekend, when it's real hot. I think I'll pull it off. Tickets go on sale soon.

That's really all I've got for you here in the land of 1,000 midgets. I bought some new pants. I don't know what it is, but Korean clothes fit me a-like-a-glove-a. I think I already mentioned that previously. Anyway, I like em. Shut up.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet painting. Although it got a little ruined by mentioning your next endeavor. I mean, what can top Freddie Mercury on a flying tiger in a volcano!? Maybe Prince in a glittery underwater adventure but that's about it. I can't wait to see it. And I'm so happy you have been painting and playing guitar. Accordion getting much love?

    $100 for gas? That's nothing. Try $400. F winter.

    Love you bro.

    ReplyDelete

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...