Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Allure of April 14th

Today is my buddy Soheil's birthday. If you see him, give him a big old birthday hug for me, will you? Oh, and ladies, he's single and dashingly handsome. In America, we all know April 14th as the day the Titanic sank and the day Lincoln was shot, but I'm not in America. Soheil, I'm going to tell you what your birthday means in Korea. April 14th is Black Day. There are no million man marches or NAACP rallies on this Black Day. This Black Day is the day that all the single folks who didn't receive any gifts on Valentine's Day or White Day from their hunnies get together in a dark alley and eat black noodles. I think they eat black noodles to symbolize that their hearts are turning a little more black. It may help to look sinister and conniving while eating them. Soheil, I would eat black noodles in a dark alley with you gladly on this Black Day. Happy birthday, buddy.

The omniscient creature/human/lizard/beam-of-light some of us call God brought a bitter cold front to Korea for Black Day. Not only that, but a hint of snow. It's mostly rain, but it's a little flurry-ey. You know the type of precipitation I'm blabbering about. It's only April 14th after all. Still snow season. I used to boast that the climate in Korea was very similar to Virginia and it didn't take much getting used to. We don't get snow on April 14th in Virginia.

No, no, this is still very odd for Korea. All the Koreans are freaking out, but then again it doesn't take much for them to run away screaming like Godzilla's coming. Still, I am under the impression that we have fallen down the terrible rabbit hole labeled "Climate Change" and we will not be able to claw ourselves out of it. The weather's being freaky everywhere. This weekend it was almost hot, now by midweek it's flurrying. Next week they're calling for a locust plague and a 40% chance of fire/lava rain mix. Come on 2012!

What I'm basically saying, Soheil, is that your birthday is the beginning of Armageddon. I'm just kidding. Hmm, do I have a picture for you for your birthday? Nothing very good. Sorry. Maybe if I had a suggestion? Could someone give me a hand, please?Sorry, that was too corny. What am I, my dad? Anyway, Soheil, I want you to know that I actually took this picture for you. Seriously. I thought to myself, "Soheil will like this pic." What does it say about our relationship and our maturity level?And they pride themselves on being an English bookstore. If only they knew. Also, if only they carried more English books than Twilight, the Harry Potter series, and that Lightning Kid book. I guess whatever they're making into movies gets put on the shelves of Youngpoon...g (yeah, ok, fine. There's a G at the end that I tried to cut out of the picture. There, are you happy now?). I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...