Thursday, April 15, 2010

Korean Business Transaction Day

First of all, I want you to know this bottle of beer:Yeah, the name probably wouldn't fly in the U.S. for some political reason or another, but the point I'm trying to make is this bottle is the size of my head and it's only $4. Don't be fooled by the "stout" label, either. It's just dark piss water lager. The Koreans think it's a stout because it's not yellow.

So today was overall a good day. I ended up having five classes instead of six. My teachers' training class was canceled because the teachers were too busy to attend. I wonder if they're just being nice. The first two classes have been kind of duds anyway, so maybe they're just calling the whole thing off. Tomato/tomahto type of thing.

After work I told myself that I would brave the Korean language barrier and do a little TCB (Taking Care of Business). My first stop was the only dental clinic that I know of, called Ye. Pronounced more like "Yay! I love going to the dentist!" I didn't get to actually get my dental work done, but I set up an appointment for the 26th. I want you to know something. That nastiness you smelled when I talk is the result of not going to the dentist for, oh...about ten years. It used to be that I couldn't afford it, then it got to be a fear that I hadn't gone in so long that it would be a terrible, expensive mess that I still wouldn't be able to afford. In Korea, all that unsightly "paying for stuff" part is mostly taken care of by the government, so if I want dentistry, now's the time to do it. Thank you, socialized healthcare. They are going to recommend I just give up on my teeth and get dentures. I know it. I hope I can count the cavities on one hand. Sorry, Mom. I'll try to salvage all that orthodontistry work you paid for. I will, of course, let you know how it goes.

I was feeling good about the success of setting a dental appointment, so I thought I would take some more chances with Korea. I had heard from a friend of a haircut place run by an Australian who would actually be able to understand me. When I got to the street where I was told this place would be, I was met with three or four different choices for lowering my ears. I took my chances at the most English looking one, but I failed. This place had no English speakers in it, but they were already shuffling me in and taking my coat off so I thought I would chalk it up to an experience. Here's the result:Yeah, not terrible, except that the bitch severed my chops. My sideburns haven't been this short since high school! It wouldn't be so bad, except that she did that Korean thing of thinning the sideburns by the ear so they kind of come to a point. Whatever, it'll grow back. Otherwise I can live with it. It was only $12 (no tipping in Korea!). And I got a shampoo out of it. Also, the hair cutter had an assistant with her whose sole job was to wipe my face of any loose hairs every time some fell on it, which was every time she snipped. It got violating after a while.

So, I spoiled the surprise with that previous picture. My final Korean interaction was going to the guitar store and buying an ax. Here's a closer look:
I ended up going with the Korean brand Crafter. What I got was the solid body cedar "Dream Plus" model. It's nothing showy, but she plays pretty nice. He also threw in a tuner, a capo, a strap, some strings, a soft case, and some picks all for free. He said it was because one time he lived in Australia (every Korean who can speak English decently has lived in Australia) and he could never muster up the cajones to go into a guitar shop and buy a guitar (I'm adlibbing. You think a Korean would say "cajones?"). He said I was brave and he knew it was hard being a foreigner, so he understood and gave me a sweet deal. I took his sweet deal.

I am slowly letting the Telecaster go. I reasoned with myself that I will buy one when I get back to the U.S. of A. It would be a big pain in the ass to ship that thing home and ultimately I'd be paying so much more for it than I would in the States. So, I bought local. Supporting Korea's guitar industry. I played it earlier until I couldn't anymore. I need to build the calluses back up.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Broheim,

    Dude, seriously, the last time I went to the dentist, like almost two years ago, it has been that long since I'd been too. I reckon it will be that long before I go again as well. One of my fillings that I got when I was like 8 totally broke when I was preggo with the twinsters and I didn't get it fixed until after Marec. I had to have my tooth filed down to a wee nob and a painful painful painful root canal. The only bright side was that my temporary crown was silver so I got to feel a little Sheen Easton for a week or so. It took a long time to be able to not feel it, I'm talking months. But now it's cool. Next time I'm hoping for a grill since they said my bottom front teeth were experiencing receding gums. I'll channel my ODB until that action actually occurs.

    Just wanted to give you a little pep talk. Everything will be fine flashing smile.

    Oh and congrats on the gitaaaar. Don't you dare, for one second think of leaving our accordion duo band, Etheria. Don't you dare!

    Loves you and misses you. Batgirl is swagger. Hilarious. Thanks for the package. It was a barrel of laughs and bittersweet. Miss you like the dickens.

    Please send me your address too. Or just call me for crying out loud. Shedding tear currently. But I chalk it up to my lady time. You know I'm no pussy!

    xoxooxooxxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bwahaha btw, the code word to post that was smagger. Teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, Sistah, there is no chance that I would leave Etheria. I knew you'd love that Batgirl shirt. I saw it and immediately thought of you. Sorry that the wine sucks. I thought it was something else, but I tasted some the other day and it's definitely not what I was thinking. I wanted to send you some Makkoli, but I'm not sure if it has any dairy in it and it doesn't keep very long. Would probably go bad during shipping. But that stuff is real tasty.

    Thanks for the dentist pep talk. I can't wait, honestly. I just want to get it over with. Miss you dramatically and intensely!

    ReplyDelete

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...