Monday, March 7, 2011

Snippets Frommamind 2: Gellin' Like Magellan...which is a stupid rhyme in the first place

So, I have to skirt the issue of racism here by saying that many Koreans I know will, when walking somewhere, often take a strange "short cut" that is not a short cut. I can't quite explain why. Just the other day, I saw some teachers walking to school only a few meters in front of me (for those who measure things in terms of football fields, they were a few yards ahead of me). Instead of walking the way I always take to school (which was straight and directly in front of them), they cut left and disappeared down a back alley. When they re-emerged next to the school, I was ahead of them. Perhaps they stopped to tie a shoe or save a dying kitten, but I doubt it. That's not the first time this has happened.

Again, I can't explain why this happens. Thus, I over-applied and over-generalized this strange little quirk to account for the Western discovery of the "New World." The reason Koreans did not discover America is because they tried getting there via short cuts.
He's scowling because he just tried kimchi for the first time.

Anyway, I've kind of worn this thought out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...