Monday, September 13, 2010

Ready, Set...Sprint and Catch Up!

Welcome to the cop-out 3-weekends-in-1 post about what I've been up to for the past three weeks since vacation abruptly ended.

The short answer: not too much. If this satisfies you, you can stop reading now.

The long answer: not too much but I'll indulge you anyway. When I got back, I ran through the first week just catching up and getting acclimated to school again. I did not have to teach much (2 out of 5 ain't bad, as Meat Loaf should have said) because the children were probably more heartbroken than I was that school was back on. They hired a grief therapist to coach the children through their difficult loss.

That first weekend back was probably the most exciting of the three I will increasingly briefly mention. I can't for the life of me remember Friday, so that means I was most likely downtown disgracing myself and others, as I typically do on Friday nights.

Saturday the 28th was the highlight. During the day, we stepped over to Duryu Park for the International Body Painting Festival. What it should have been called is the Korea vs. Japan vs. Russia Body Painting Festival. Those wiley Russians are always throwing a wrench into the well oiled Korea vs. Japan machine.

Actually enjoying art, I was perhaps the only one of my group who took interest in what was happening. The way it was set up was 'they' (they say it's gonna rain) erected tents all around the grass field, wherein artists painted their model's skin. They had, I think, six hours to paint. Later at night (after we had long gone), they would have a "fashion" show where all the models would model, and the clappers would clap, and the judges would judge. They would give prizes to the best artist, the best model, the best design, etc. Two of the better entries:



A part of me is very sad that we didn't get to stay for the show. They were still in the midst of preparation when we left. While the audience waited for the main event, after exhausting their patience on the slow painting process, they could be entertained by various acts onstage. Acts included belly dancing shows (pictured above), a martial arts display, dog tricks, a Korean Idol type of contest, and comedy? If I spoke Korean I would give you a definitive answer to that one. The one who I thought should have won the whole Festival was this guy:

He wouldn't move unless someone went up to him to take a picture. When they went to pose, he would mechanically morph into a funny pose or face. He didn't ask for money, which is rare, isn't it? Oh Korea. Make no mistake because of these pictures. I am still lazy as hell when it comes to taking my camera anywhere. I would rather not have that one more protrusion in my pocket these days. Once fall hits and I have to wear long sleeves or jackets then I will consequently have more pockets I can put things like cameras in.

That night we went to Kyungpook University (경북대학교북문) to watch our friends play in their snazzy little rock band. I sure do love the devil's music.

The second week went by uneventfully. At some point in that time, it was determined that a group of us will go to Japan. At first, it was Osaka because I've heard Osaka kicks the pants off of Tokyo. But, being that we're going on a Korean national holiday where all the foreigners hightail it out of Korea, the ferries for Osaka were all booked. Instead we opted for Fukuoka. We'll have more time, probably spend less, and still get to experience a little taste of Japan. I'm very excited.

That second weekend was highlighted by a birthday party for someone I had never met before and some friends from Seoul visiting. Hmm, kind of end of story?

Third week: let's talk about Bob Dylan. I watched No Direction Home this past week. It's really long. Also, it's really good to get a perspective of where Bob comes from and kind of confirms that he's got a little ego. But I would too if I were Bob Dylan. Perhaps it's best at making you empathize with a man who was given a heavy burden (the voice of a generation, etc) and how he reacted to it. I'd still suggest it to anyone with an interest in the music, the man, or the times.

Friday, I went to what will probably be the last Korean baseball game of the season with a Steve Holcomb in attendance. I went with my male co-teacher. It was a good time, and it was nice to talk to him on a human, non-coworking, level. I never caught who won because it was tied 2-2 when we left at the top of the 10th inning. I'm willing to bet that Samsung won, just because they own Korea and probably called the CEO of LG and told him they would bury him in the Han River tomorrow if they didn't.

Saturday, I saw The Last Airbender. Ok, yes, it was entertaining. The acting was particularly atrocious and you can tell they are going for trilogy. They didn't even try to hide it. I still am wholly unimpressed with M. Night Shamalamadingdong as a director.

Aaaaaaannnnnndddddd...catching you up on my life is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...