Sunday, June 13, 2010

World Cup Fever!

As if it were possible, I think I'm getting lazier. I did clean my apartment today though, so at least I have that going for me. Anyway, the reason I mention my increasing laziness is because I had a pretty awesome weekend, yet I my desire to blog about it is next to nil. That's a problem. I am here to please the folks back home, and if I can't even be bothered then what's the point? I will pull through for you tonight.

As all you Americans may or may not know, this weekend marked the beginning of the World Cup. I know in the U.S. we generally don't give a damn about soccer because the corporations tell us not to because there are no convenient breaks for commercials, but the fever is ignited in Korea. Friday was the beginning with the South Africa vs. Mexico game. In America, we may be more inclined to shout out loud for Mexico due to their proximity (which I will touch on Canada's betrayal in this matter later), but since there are more South Africans here than Mexicans (I don't hang out with Army dudes) we went for South Africa. They, of course, tied. But, we had a good time hanging out in bars watching it anyway.

Saturday was the real prize. Korea vs. Greece. 8:30 PM. We all headed down to Duryu Park to watch the game in one of the most crowded events I've ever been to. Here's a video to show you. The bathroom lines were literally hundreds of people long. I took advantage of being a male and the fact that I was in a park with lots of trees.


You may or may not notice all the red glowing things that people are wearing. Those are the devil horns. The Koreans are the "red devils" or some crap. This makes no sense because South Korea really should be blue while North Korea takes the cake as the most red devilish country in existence. Whatever, they are the same people, after all. Here's me in my decked out Korea gear:You probably can't tell, but the bandana is the South Korean flag. The shirt is good for two reasons. First, the word "Fighting!" is used the same way one would use the words, "Come on!" or "Go team!" in America. You can just substitute it for "Fighting!" Well, usually Koreans say "Pighting" but whatever. The gist is the same. Also, do you like how Korea is spelled with a C? Yeah, me too. Almost as much as I love my ridiculous face.

Anyway, Korea won 2-0, and the whole country went absolutely wild. That's good. I'm glad to be in a country that actually gives a crap about the World Cup. It's invigorating. The problem was that the U.S. vs. England game was at 3:30 in the morning. Did I watch it? Of course. I took a nap beforehand, but I won't miss out on the chance to represent Amurrica right. If you don like it, then you can git out.

So, what's with all the Canadians supporting England in this match? Like they have closer ties to England or something? I know they still have the Queen on their currency and follow her every move and wipe her butt for her and whatnot, but seriously, what gives? What has England done for Canada lately? Have they been their number one trading partner, or even gone so far as to save their ass in WW2? No, that was US! I was rather upset at their blatant betrayal and I will be writing a letter to the king of Canada or whatever.

Also, why does England even get a team in the first place? England's not even a country. It's the United Kingdom. That's like if we gave California its own team and let it compete in the World Cup. Stupid. Anyway, we also tied the Brits, so we can call ourselves their equal.

My school's birthday is on Tuesday. Yes, here in Korea, schools have birthdays. When the school has a birthday, the school has a holiday. Since ours is on Tuesday, school is closed on Monday as well. A nice four day weekend...for Koreans. Per my contract, I still have to show up at school and warm a desk for 8 hours. This is by far the stupidest thing I have come across in Korea. Stupider than rice and kimchi for breakfast, stupider than driving scooters on the sidewalk, stupider than my neighbor's convenience store hours. It's stupider than K-pop, which is really damn stupid. If you think Britney or Lady Gaga are stupid or whatever all the kids listen to, just listen to K-pop for a little while and American pop sounds like Beethoven. I'm exaggerating, but if I have to hear another Girl's Generation song I'm going to snap someone's neck.

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated berfday to yo skewl!

    Also, when you do write the ruler of Canadia, make sure you scrawl it EN FRANCAIS. You know how French they are. Typical French attitude to thank someone ELSE for help given.

    At least you got paid to warm the desk, right?

    ReplyDelete

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...