Thursday, May 12, 2011

Jeju Day 2: Jeju Harder

Before I move on, I just had to point this out: So, in Love Land there was a sculpture series that was clearly themed on large, fat women and small, skinny men trying to escape them. Now, I'm not sure if this was something that was ordered by the creative staff of Love Land or if there just happened to be enough of them to warrant a separate section, but either way somebody's got some psychological issues to work out.

Day two was not quite as action packed as day one. It was sunny, so we wanted to head to the beach. Here's our second beach experience: The beach wasn't quite as majestic as the first, but it's right around where we were staying. Here's our resort: And the interior: It had coy fish and expensive sandwiches! I'm going to go ahead and reveal to you that I am, indeed, lying about where we stayed. We stayed in a hostel that was $15 a night and definitely not as luxurious (or as expensive) as the resorts.

That evening, we tried one of Jeju's specialties: 똥돼지 (ddong dwaeji...poop pig). These are special pigs that are said to taste like tropical rainbows (Skittles?) and ecstatic happiness because they are well taken care of and they eat nothing but shit. Apparently, that's not true so much anymore, so they changed their name to black pig because they're black (racists...). Anyway, it was a tasty treat.

Afterwards, I traversed down the hill to the waterfall area to view all the Koreans taking pictures of a waterfall. Here it is: Oh, you wanted to see the waterfall. Fine. I believe up to this point, I have neglected to mention how random Jeju is. On our various excursions, we would pass a number of museums and sites scattered around the island. To name a few: Teddy Bear Museum, Citrus Museum, African Art Museum, Glass Museum, Green Tea Museum, Genghis Khan re-enactment, traditional Vietnamese village, Anti-Japan Monument (not so random), and Mini World (boasting miniature reproductions of world famous sites). We went to none of these places during our stay, but I wish we had made it to the Green Tea Museum. It sounds so interesting...

Another point to touch upon is the utter lack of driving skills on Jeju. I have never seen worse driving in my life, and I've lived on mainland Korea for over a year. My theory is that mainland Koreans come to Jeju for vacation and rent a car. Mainland Korea is very different than Jeju in that you can get everywhere you need to go via taxi, bus, or train without driving a day in your life. The most economical way to get around Jeju is by renting a car, thus that's what they do. You can guess how well that goes.

Anyway, there's still a whole day of Jeju action left to go. Tune in next time, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...