Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Thoughts Frommamind #3: MLK's Legacy

Maybe I should rename this segment "Thoughts Frommalife...in Korea" or something. So, today I was teaching classes in the English classroom, as I do, and I noticed these boxes that were themed on the bookshelf. They're those small, thin boxes that have a book and a CD and a guide in them or whatever to help the kids learn the Engrish. So I parused the titles, reading down the line: Aladdin and the Magic Lamp, Greek Myths, Heungbu and Nolbu, The Happy Prince, and the second to last one, Martin Luther King, Jr.

Um...what? Is MLK now the title character in some sort of tall tale wherein he rides a tidal wave through Alabama that turns all the KKK members into pine trees?

Surfs up, dude!


I'm not quite getting the relevance of Martin Luther King, Jr., a real person who lived not that long ago, to the others in the set, all stories derived from various histories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...