Friday, March 23, 2012

Notebook Showcase #1

So, one of my duties at school includes grading the 6th graders' homework.  This is normally done in their English notebook, which they hand in at the end of class.  Since beginning this duty, I have been absolutely enthralled with the covers on these notebooks.  Now, I admit I had a Lisa Frank trapper keeper in the 4th grade, but the covers to these notebooks make Lisa Frank look like Rambo's casualty checklist.  Note: I have blocked any names out of the pictures for privacy purposes, and because that's explicitly stated in my contract not to expose names of students.

This week's top five:

 "You see, when a mommy and a daddy really love each other, they plant gardens full of strawberry seeds and yell "Happy FRESH100%!" and make sweet time sweet time sweet time sweet time.
 I don't even know what this is supposed to be, but it looks like a propaganda poster for the first day of integration at a 1960s elementary school.  Perhaps in black people language, this day is called "Awa seru!" 
 Oh!  So, even if I don't know English, I should just yell as loud as I can what I think English sounds like at strangers.  Nobody would be offended at that.
 Somebody! Anybody!  I'm so desperate and lonely.
"Do you like Drive?"...as in the movie Drive?  And I'd love to see a street sign that just says "For Driving."  Oooh, a driving road.  Or maybe it leads to a golf course?

Now before I continue this type of entry, I should emphasize that there are some notebooks that are both tasteful and grammatically correct.  They are, admittedly, in the minority.  Why Korean stationery companies prefer to vomit incorrect English onto their notebooks is beyond me, but it's the rule as opposed to the exception.  Like their t-shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hardest Goodbyes

I had to post twice in a day. It's my final day in Korea and there are so many emotions running through ma veins, through ma brains. I u...